In collaboration with parents, schools, and the treatment team, our Family First Adolescent Services academic team customize educational plans for each student. Plans are developed to meet the learning styles and circumstances unique to our clients. Our education planning process encompasses a variety of educational tracks that can be facilitated solely or in combination with each other. The tracks focus on graduation requirements, college and career readiness, personal development, professional development, and executive function skills.
- Students younger than 16 are placed in the Plato Academy GED Prep Course
- Students 16+ establish an account on www.ged.com*
- Students 18+ will take the official GED Ready Practice Exams to learn what/if they need to build their skills on. When ready, they may schedule their examination dates in collaboration with when FFAS staff can arrange transportation.**
- Students 16-17 will need to follow the underage guidelines for their county of residence. Out of state students may apply for a FL ID by establishing Palm Beach County residency based on our inpatient home addresses.
*Student addresses must match what is on their state issued photo ID. If a student does not have an ID, they will be assisted with obtaining one.
**Testing fees are required.
College Readiness Track
- ACT Prep
- SAT Prep
- PERT Prep
- Scholarship Research
- Common Application and Essay Writing Assistance
- FAFSA Application Assistance
- Arrangements can be made to provide students with tours of local colleges and to set up meetings with Academic Advisors.
Career Readiness Track
- Career Explorations Course
- Florida Shines website Enrollment and Assignments
- ASVAB Test Preparation
- Resume Writing
- Interview Preparation
- Mock Interview with Academic Case Manager
- Meetings with Military Recruitment Officers can be arranged when applicable.
Personal Development Track
- Personal Development Track
- Personal Adjustment Course*
- Individual Development Project**
*Taught by one of our Family First Certified Mental Health Counselors, this course covers major components of personal growth.
**A self reflection activity encompassing expressing oneself through art,
identifying values, building self-esteem, and goal setting.
Executive Function Skill Development Track
Based on the book “The Smart but Scattered Guide to Success” by Peg Dawson, EdD and Richard Guare, PhD Encompasses activities such as identifying Executive Function strengths and weaknesses, environmental modifications, and creating an Action Plan to overcome weakness areas.